Posted by: Shivir chordia on
Oct 06, 2009
The reality may be far more deeper and sad to an extent grim ....I would love to be challenged to prove otherwise....but most "Great parks" in India are not great anymore....infact they are hiding the greatest lies of our times. MP / Rajasthan / UP & karnataka the so called Tiger states...have an embarrassment staring at their faces. The fact remains we may be at a low of 600 - 700 wild tigers..if not lower....Given this state what can India do....
if we try the traditional route of doing the tougher things to arrive at a world changing environment wonder...it will not happen...the tribal bill is death for the forest / the plan to relocate the villages out of reserves is correct but the timelines and effort to accomplish will be in line with the extinction of the Tiger ..the Task force is too focused at ascertaining the right number / creating gene pools in the empty reserves of Sariska and Panna...that they will loose the call to action which is urgent and today ...just in case they missed it yesterday....Naxalites are a threat to this nation...and it is believed the forest is their chief financier and haven...how easy to fool a nation.
What is needed is a Military type / regimented approach...disciplines action and accountable results are the need....I have outlines some radical thoughts which will make up a urgent measures to save the Tiger.....
1. secure : Secure what is left of the reserves...if the endless borders with Pak is fenced...then efforts should be made to fence the handful of reserves...add in surveillance cameras / vigilance posts / seal the areas around villages and reserves ...get secure.
2. Justice : Rein in law to bring the culprits to sentence...the message should be clear...wildlife crime is unacceptable...and prosecution is of the highest order.
3. Management : Bring is a CEO or a commissioner for a forest...let them run and manage a park...self fund activities...secure ...encourage sensible and correct eco tourism...man manage the staff...make it PROFESSIONAL.
4. Share : Share profits with the stakeholders...the chari katta / mahouts / guides / forest staff ...etc etc...give them a life they will value...its only in these small things that you create a big responsibility...a secure ,satisfied , not poor , dependant forest staff will protect his forest like his house.
5. technology : bring in technology to ascertain the correct census data....bring in technology in science of wildlife...get vets / naturalists / researchers / field biologists etc etc...pay them well to create a more predictable forest...help them make this a sustainable environment.
6. Citizens : Seek support and use support...millions to help...ask ..
7. Raise Money :- carbon credits from reserves / tax exemption for corporate spending on forests and new and innovative ways to divert funds to reserves will help bring in the finance to make it all possible.
8. Eco tourism : Make it real...make it compulsory...involve them to create a furture...
9. Great Minds : Bittu Sehgal / Valmik Thapar / Ullas Karanth etc etc need to be brought into the fold to lead for results...a la nandan nilekani...
Tiger is the apex specie...if the tiger goes...the balance of nature will be upset...the eco system will be upset......water scarcity will be real...as 80 % of Indias rivers are from forests...climate change will be drastic...floods in places where it never happened..and famine and drought in places it can never...India will never be the same again...the cause can be found....but the effects is un imaginable...in hindsight everything has a solution..a sorry can mend ways...but nature cannot be re created..a sorry is the end state...
Indias future and I repeat "Indias future" is dependant on this....don't ever ignore it...act now